The Community Development Agency is now accepting applications for FY 2018-19 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME program funds. Applications are available below. To be considered for funding, completed applications must be submitted to the Housing and Federal Grants Division no later than 5:00 p.m. PST on Monday, November 20, 2017.
Prospective applicants may take advantage of an informational workshop scheduled for 2:30 p.m. PDT on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at the Point Reyes Dance Palace located at 503 B Street in Point Reyes Station, California. At the workshop, applicants will learn essential information concerning federal requirements and local priorities. Staff will be ready to answer questions about program requirements and the application process.
Questions may be submitted to the Housing and Federal Grants Division at email@example.com.
The Marin County Community Development Agency makes grant funds available only to eligible nonprofit agencies and local governments; private individuals and families are not eligible for direct funding.
Marin County anticipates that it will receive roughly $1.3 million in CDBG funds and $600,000 in HOME funds. After subtracting administrative expenses, the funds are divided so that 40% goes to housing on a countywide basis and the remaining 60% goes to three local planning areas for housing, capital, and public service projects. At least 30% of each planning area's funds must be used for housing.
Staff holds a workshop during which we explain the CDBG regulations, talk to potential applicants, and learn what the public sees as priorities.
FY 2018-19 applications are due to the Marin County Community Development Agency at
5:00 p.m. PDT, on Monday, November 20, 2017. The address for mailing or hand delivery of applications is:
ATTN: Federal Grants Program
Marin County Community Development Agency
3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 308
San Rafael, CA 94903
Digital applications will be accepted as well and must be received by the before mentioned time to the Federal Grants Program at FederalGrants@marincounty.org.
In late December, CDBG staff begins reviewing applications, requesting additional information if needed, and making staff recommendations about which projects should be funded. (City of San Rafael staff will review applications for San Rafael Planning Area funds.)
Typically, the requests for CDBG assistance total more than three times the amount of funds available. Because of the competition for limited funds, many applicants cannot be recommended for funding and many are recommended for funding at less than the amounts they requested. Competition is most intense in the public service category.
Most planning areas have a Local Area Committee, consisting of a County Supervisor from that area and one City or Town Council member from each of the cities and towns within the area. During January and February, each of the Local Area Committees holds a hearing to make recommendations for the use of planning area funds. The San Rafael and the Novato City Councils now serve as the Local Area Committees for the their Planning Areas, and San Rafael and Novato Planning Area funds now include their share of CDBG Countywide Housing funds.
The Countywide Priority Setting Committee, consists of one County Supervisor, a representative from each of the City and Town Councils and community members. A hearing is then held to consider the recommendations made for the local planning area funds, and to make the initial recommendations for Countywide Housing funds.
Then, in early May, the Board of Supervisors holds a final public hearing on all the recommendations of the Countywide Priority Setting Committee for both planning area and countywide housing funds. In mid-May, the County sends its annual list of projects to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Please review all supplemental documents: