Body Art

Community Development Agency

If you plan to open a body art facility or perform body art activities, you will need to register with the County of Marin Environmental Health Services.

Body Art includes piercing, tattoos, permanent cosmetics, and branding. Body art must be performed in a safe and sanitary manner to prevent the potential for spreading blood-borne diseases and other infections. The Marin County Body Art program promotes and protects the health and safety of body art practitioners, their clients and the public by overseeing practices to ensure they are in compliance with the law.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Body Art Program at 415-473-6907 or drop us an email.

Environmental Health Services

3501 Civic Center Drive, Ste 236
San Rafael CA 94903
Office 415-473-9607
Fax 415-473-4120

Monday to Thursday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM


Body Art Facility and Practitioner Permits

All body art (BA) practitioners must practice in a permitted BA facility. All BA facility permits are address specific and not transferable.  All individuals practicing BA in the County must be registered regardless of paid status or if they are an “apprentice.”   

Requires an application submission: 

  • New BA facility
  • BA facility change of address
  • BA facility change of ownership
  • New BA practitioner or apprentice
  • Lapse of practitioner permit  


Body Art Facility & Practitioner Permit Application Packet

Temporary Body Art

A practitioner may, in the local jurisdiction of registration, practice in a temporary demonstration booth for no more than seven days in a 90-day period. Application must be received 90-days prior to the event.

General Resources

Online General Resources

US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) – Are Tattoo Inks Safe?

National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) – Body Piercing Infections

American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) – Caring for your tattooed skin

ADD – Unexpected skin reactions and what to do about them

Paying My Invoice Or Bill

Marin County accepts payment in the following ways:
  1. Cash (in-office payments only)
  2. Check (in-office or mail payments)

    Make check payable to: Marin County

  3. Credit/Debit Card (over the phone or in person)

    Please call 415-473-6097
    Only Visa and Mastercard accepted

Please mail payments to:

Environmental Health Services
3501 Civic Center Drive #236
San Rafael CA 94903

Payments are accepted:

Mon-Thur: 8 am to 3:30 pm
Friday:      8 am to 12 pm