Marriage License

Shelly Scott, Assessor - Recorder - County Clerk

Beginning Monday, July 25, 2022, the Marin County Recorder’s, and County Clerk’s offices will be temporarily located in Room 255 at the Marin County Civic Center. 

For County Clerk’s services, appointments are highly recommended. We will accept walk in customers without appointments, however, wait times may be longer than anticipated. Office hours are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM - Monday through Friday (closed major holidays) All transactions, filings, and applications must be presented for processing by 3:30 PM. To schedule an appointment with County Clerk staff, please call (415) 473-6772, weekdays, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

To schedule an appointment for an in-person marriage license, please complete and submit Marriage License Form online. Due to limited lobby space, we are prioritizing Marin County residents at this time. When you complete your form, please include both parties’ names, addresses and daytime telephone numbers. In addition, please provide proof of Marin County residency, which could include a scanned copy of a recent utility bill, a rental agreement, mortgage documentation, or another visible form of proof. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

We are also offering online marriage ceremonies pursuant to Governor Newsom’s April 30, 2020 Executive Order N-58-20. For more information contact County Clerk staff via email to the County Clerk. As with in-person marriage licenses, we are prioritizing Marin County residents at this time.

In California a couple must obtain a Marriage License before a ceremony is performed. Couples must appear in person with valid picture Identification. Passports (American or Foreign), Permanent Resident ID Card (Green Cards), Driver's License, California Identification cards or Consular ID cards are acceptable. Foreign or International Driver's Licenses are not accepted.

The Marriage License is valid for 90 days and you must use the license before or on the expiration date.

The Name Equality Act of 2007

The Name Equality Act of 2007 changed California’s Marriage Laws effective January 1, 2009 - California Family Code Section 306.5.

The Name Equality Act allows the couple, at the time they are applying for their marriage license, to choose and list on the marriage license the new name that each party will go by after marriage. It is very important that couples give thought to what their married legal name(s) will be and make their decision before applying for a license. Parties are not required to have the same name, nor are they required to change their names.

The California Department of Public Health prepared a brochure on the Name Equality Act of 2007. Please read this information thoroughly before you begin your marriage license application.

NOTE: Changing a name after the license is issued (and before the couple marries) will require the purchase of a new license. Changing a name after the marriage is solemnized requires a court order and can be a lengthy, expensive process.

Applying for a Marriage License

To obtain a public or confidential marriage license, you must go to the County Clerk's Office with your intended spouse. If either partner does not speak English, someone who can translate must accompany the couple.

For convenience, you can print the application now and bring it with you, or begin the process with our Online Application system.

You will not receive a valid marriage license until you have appeared together in person at the County Clerk's Office, signed the application, and paid for the license.

The fee for a public marriage license is $85.00 and the fee for a confidential license is $93.00. Payment is accepted in cash or check, payable to the “Marin County Clerk”. Debit and credit cards are also accepted (additional $2.50 processing fee applies).

If you need additional information or have more questions, please contact the Marin County Clerk at (415) 473-6772 or send an email. The office of the Marin County Clerk is located at the Marin County Civic Center Room 234, 3501 Civic Center Drive, San Rafael, CA. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The Difference Between a Confidential and a Public Marriage License

A public marriage license is a public record. The license allows you to hold the ceremony anywhere within the State of California and you are required to have at least one witness present during the ceremony.

A confidential marriage license requires the couple to be living together prior to applying for the license. Couples who are living together may obtain a confidential marriage license as long as they meet the requirements listed on the County Clerk website. The ceremony may take place anywhere within the State of California and witnesses are not required during the ceremony. The marriage record is only made available to the parties to the marriage unless a court order is obtained from Superior Court.

Both types of marriage licenses are legally valid and certified copies of a Public License (found in the Recorder's Office) or Confidential License (found in the County Clerk) may be purchased after a ceremony is performed and the license has been registered.

Getting Married at the Civic Center

    Due to Marin County’s current Shelter-In-Place order, no in-person ceremonies are being performed by County Clerk staff until further notice.

    Getting Someone Deputized to Perform a Wedding

    The Marin County Clerk’s office offers an opportunity to have a special friend or family member appointed to perform your marriage ceremony. This is a one-time, one-event appointment.

    The person to be deputized must be at least eighteen (18) years old and the couple must have purchased the license from the Marin County Clerk's Office prior to deputizing the person. The person wishing to be deputized must apply in person at the County Clerk's Office in Marin County Civic Center Room 234, 3501 Civic Center Drive, San Rafael, CA. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

    The fee is sixty dollars ($60.00). For more information you can call (415) 473-6772.