IMPORTANT UPDATE (November 17, 2022)
Green Building Code Requirements have been updated and will go into effect January 1, 2023. Please review the adopted 2022 Green Building Code for more details. For ease, the following are one-page fact sheets highlighting key requirements and rebates and incentives available for your project:
- All-Electric for All New Construction Buildings
- Electric Vehicle (EV) Readiness and Infrastructure for New Construction and Renovations
- Energy Efficiency and Electrification for Existing Single-Family Renovations
- Low-Carbon Concrete Requirements for All Building Projects (Adopted November 2019, deferred enforcement during shelter-in-place, and enforcement will resume January 1, 2023.)
- 2023 Rebates and Tax Incentives for Efficiency and Electrification Single-Family Home Retrofits
Use this easy-to-use Green Building Decision Making Tool to download and complete the appropriate Checklists for your project. Please Subscribe to the Green Building Requirements page to stay up-to-date.
ALL BUILDING PERMIT SUBMITTALS
Our 24/7 self-serve online building permit portal www.MarinBuildingPermits.org is now instantly issuing Self-Service MINOR IMPROVEMENT Permits for:
- Single Family Residential Rooftop Photovoltaic (PV) Installations
- Single Family Residential Energy Storage System (ESS) Installations
- Single Family Residential Ground-mount Generator Installations
Other self-serve instant permits available at www.MarinBuildingPermits.org include Self-Service MAINTENANCE Permits for:
- Electrical Maintenance only
- Plumbing Maintenance only
- Mechanical Maintenance only
- Siding or Stucco Replacement
- Non-structural Window & Door Replacement
For ALL OTHER building permit applications, including new construction, additions, major and minor remodeling, and Express Permitting, please submit your application at www.MarinBuildingPermits.org by choosing the option for Permits Requiring Plans and Review and clicking the link for Online Permit Application. You will be able to complete and submit your Building Permit Application Form – Parts A and B, and pay your $100 Submittal Deposit using your valid credit card. Building and Safety staff will process your online application and advise your next-steps for fastest processing via email to you.
PERMIT CENTER and CONTACT INFORMATION
The CDA Permit Center and Customer Service Counter is open to the public Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 4:00 and Friday 8:00 – Noon for permit application drop off, permit pick up and brief consultations not requiring an appointment in advance.
Contact Building & Safety: Community Development Agency, Building and Safety Division, 3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 308, San Rafael, CA 94903. (415) 473-6550 | EMAIL
For Inspections: Inspections may be scheduled for all instant self-serve permits issued through www.MarinBuildingPermits.org by logging into your online permitting account and scheduling your inspections online. Inspections for any issued building permit may also be scheduled by dialing our Interactive Voice Recording (415) 473- 6560 and following the menu of instructions.
The Customer Service Counter will be closed on April 6
For further assistance please call the Building and Safety hotline
Fax: (415) 473-7432
3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 308. San Rafael, California 94903