The Marin County Planning Division is requesting that organizations and individuals interested in the North Coast Land Holdings project on the former site of the Golden Gate Baptist Seminary provide us with written comments on the project. The applicant for the project is Bruce Jones, and the property is located at 201 Seminary Drive, further identified as Assessor's Parcels 043-261-25; 043-261-26; 043-262-03, 043-262-06; 043-401-05; 043-401-10; 043-401-16; 043-402-03; 043-402-06.
The project site has been used by the Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary (Seminary) as a graduate school since the original Use Permit was approved for the Seminary in 1953. Since the Seminary campus opened in 1959, it has received a variety of land use approvals. The most notable entitlement the Seminary received was in 1984 when the Board of Supervisors approved a Master Plan for the school campus. The Master Plan approved ten school related buildings totaling approximately 192,600 square feet in floor area, in addition to a total of 304 residential units to accommodate on-site housing opportunities for the students, faculty and staff. To date, five institutional school buildings totaling 118,400 square feet of floor area have been constructed as follows:
- 25,200 square foot Administration Building
- 51,200 square foot Academic Building
- 32,000 square foot Library Building
- 10,000 square foot Cafeteria Building
- 2,200 square foot Maintenance Building
Additionally, 209 residential units have also been constructed. The units are distributed throughout a variety of 42 single family and multiple family buildings and comprised of the following:
- 60 dorm rooms
- 24 studio units
- 50 one bedroom units
- 54 two bedroom units
- 19 three bedroom units
- 2 four bedroom units
The buildings and residential units that have not been constructed per the 1984 Master Plan are as follows:
- 12,000 square foot Classroom Building
- 25,000 square foot Chapel/Auditorium
- 17,000 square foot Gymnasium/Health Center
- 12,000 Square foot Student Center
- 3,000 square foot Day Care Center
- 3,000 square feet of a 5,200 square foot approved Maintenance Building
Total Floor Area: 74,200 square feet
The applicant, North Coast Land Holdings, LLC, is requesting a Community Plan Amendment, Master Plan Amendment, a Precise Development Plan, a Use Permit Amendment, a Vesting Tentative Map, and a Tree Removal Permit to allow the redevelopment of the existing Seminary campus. Specifically, the applicant is proposing to redevelop the project site with a secondary school campus that would allow up 1,000 students, in addition to the construction of academic buildings and residential units consistent with the maximum floor area and residential units that were previously approved for the project site in 1953 and in 1984. In summary, the scope of the project would include the following:
- Demolish all of the existing housing except two existing individual single family residences (Superintendent’s and President’s residences), and nine existing three bedroom units located in five buildings to remain unchanged.
- Replace the existing Seminary graduate school with a secondary school.
- Architectural and interior remodel of the existing Administration Building (25,200 square feet) the Library Building (32,000 square feet), and the Cafeteria Building (10,000 square feet). No additional floor area would be added to these buildings.
- Remodel and 12,000 square foot addition to the existing Administration Building. The Administrative Building would total 63,200 square feet of floor area.
- Remodel and 3,000 square foot addition to the existing Maintenance Building. The maintenance building would total 5,200 square feet of floor area.
- Construct the following new institutional buildings:
- 25,000 square foot Chapel/Auditorium
- 20,000 square foot Gymnasium/Health Center
- 12,000 Square foot Student Center
- Develop a total of 304 residential units, unrelated to the school, as follows:
- 55 Studio units
- 75 One bedroom units
- 55 Two bedroom units
- 106 Three bedroom units
- 2 Four bedroom units
- Landscape and hardscape improvements associated with the school campus and the residential units, including parking and playfields.
- The removal of trees to accommodate the project.
The application includes a Transportation Management Plan with measures intended to reduce potential traffic and parking impacts to the surrounding area, including operating a school bus program that would be the primary mode of access for the students.
The proposed Vesting Tentative Map is a resubdivision of lots 25, 26, 27, 28, and Parcels A, B, and C as shown on the map entitled “Map of Seminary Ridge- Phase 1,” filed in book 20 of maps page 84, Marin County Records. More specifically, the applicant proposes to subdivide Lot 28 of the Seminary Ridge subdivision into six lots. The existing Lot 28 is 73.66 acres in area, and the proposed lots would have the following approximate areas:
- Lot 5: 9.69 acres
- Lot 6: 9.07 acres
- Lot 7: 5.33 acres
- Lot 8: 7.95 acres
- Lot 9: 8.88 acres
- Lot 10: 32.02 acres
- Lot 11: 0.72 acres
The modifications to the Affordable Housing Plan for the project include concessions under the density bonus regulations (Marin County Code chapter 22.24). The modified concessions relate to the maximum number of units allowable on the property pursuant to Countywide Plan policies limiting development to the low end of the density range (CWP TR-1.e) and to reserving the right to pursue up to the maximum 35 percent density bonus allowed by State law.
An amendment to the Strawberry Community Plan has been requested to modify language in the Community Plan specifically related to the Seminary site. The modifications include changing the language currently referring to student housing to allow residential units that are not exclusively dedicated to student housing.
Pursuant to Section 22.44.010 of the County Code, a Master Plan Amendment is being requested to amend the previously approved 1984 Master Plan for the Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary. The proposed amendment would allow the previously approved student housing to be redeveloped as market rate and affordable housing and to allow a secondary school to replace a graduate school.
Pursuant to Section 22.44.010 of the County Code, a Precise Development Plan is being requested to allow for the site layout, architectural design, and construction of the buildings related to the school and the housing.
Pursuant to Section 22.48.010 of the County Code, a Use Permit is being requested to amend the original 1953 Use Permit approved for the Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary to allow for the secondary school instead of the previously approved graduate level school. The 1953 Use Permit allowed up to 1,000 students for the Seminary.
Pursuant to Section 22.84.110 of the County Code, a Vesting Tentative Map is being requested to allow a 10-lot subdivision that includes specific building locations and related infrastructure to accommodate the project.
Pursuant to Section 22.62.010 of the County Code, a Tree Removal Permit is being requested to allow the removal of protected trees for development of the project.
Zoning: RMP 2.47 (multiple family residential, planned district) and AH (Affordable Housing)
Countywide Plan Designation: MF2 (Low Density Residential, 1-4 units/acre)
Community Plan (if applicable): Strawberry Community Plan