Permit Your Green Building and Appliance Electrification Project

Community Development Agency
Most home improvement projects that involve a licensed contractor require permits. Examples of projects that require permits:
  • Replacing a gas water heater with a heat pump water heater
  • Replacing a furnace or HVAC system with a heat pump
  • Up-sizing an electrical panel

Removing a gas stove and/or oven and replacing it with an induction stove or cooktop and/or convection oven does not require a permit.

Permitting Resources

These guides provide information on permitting requirements for HVAC and water heater projects.

Navigate to Marin County Permit Portal