Planning Commission Protocols
- PLANNING COMMISSION VOTING REQUIREMENTS
- For the following action, four (4) affirmative votes from the Planning Commission membership must be cast.
- Adopt recommendation to adopt or amend a general, community, or specific plan.
- Adopt a recommendation on zoning text or zoning district amendments.
- Reverse or modify a previous decision of the Director or Hearing Officer for Zoning Code or Subdivision Code matters.
- Any other action by the Planning Commission requires a majority (for a minimum of three (3) affirmative votes). Failure to obtain a majority vote to approve an action shall be deemed a denial of the action; however, failure to reach a majority vote to deny any matter shall not constitute approval.
- GUIDELINES FOR TIME LIMITS ON PRESENTATION AND PUBLIC TESTIMONY
The Planning Commission's general meeting procedure and time limit guidelines are as follows. These guidelines may be modified at the discretion of the Commission Chair in particular cases.
- Planning Division staff report - 5-10 minutes
- Planning Commission questions to staff
- Applicant's presentation - 10 minutes maximum
- Appellant's Presentation (applies only if public hearing is required to act on a valid appeal) - 10 minutes maximum
- Public Testimony (depending on the number of speakers) Members of the audience may not allocate their testimony time to other speakers. - 3-5 minutes each Written testimony is greatly appreciated, and should be received no later than 9:00 a.m. on the Thursday prior to the day of the hearing. Please send ten (10) copies of written testimony to:
Marin County Planning Commission
C/O Ana Hilda Mosher
3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 308
San Rafael, California 94903
via email: Planning Commission
Fax: (415) 473-7880. When written testimony is presented, it is not necessary to read the entire text into the minutes; it will automatically become a part of the record.
- Electronic Presentations
If you wish to make an electronic presentation at the meeting, please advise the Planning Commission Secretary at 473-6278 or Planning Commission. Your presentation should be submitted on a flash drive at least two (2) business days (by 12:00 noon on the Thursday prior to a Monday hearing) in advance of the hearing to be checked for viruses and pre-loaded on County computer equipment. Non-County computers cannot be connected to the County network. Please contact the Commission Secretary to discuss your equipment needs.
- Close public hearing
When public hearing is closed, no further discussion between the applicant, the public and the Commission is appropriate unless the majority of the Commission agrees to hear new information only.
- OPEN TIME FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION
Testimony regarding matters not on the agenda will not be considered part of the administrative record.
- NOTICE REGARDING BUS SERVICE
The Marin County Civic Center is served by Golden Gate Transit Bus Routes 45, 45K, 49, 75, 233, and 259 with connections to other routes at Third and Hetherton Streets in San Rafael. For more information call toll free 511 or (415) 455-2000 (Marin County).
Questions: Contact Planning Commission, 415-473-6278
NOTE: ALL PLANNING COMMISSION MEETINGS ARE AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDED.