Administrative Regulation 22
Furniture Purchases and Space Planning
Effective Date: April 15, 2005
This policy shall define the standards and requirements for furniture purchases and the roles, responsibilities and request process for space planning.
This regulation is issued pursuant to Section 2.08.040 of the Marin County Code pertaining to the responsibilities of the County Administrator.
Applicability and Purpose
This regulation is intended to ensure consistency and cost-effectiveness of furniture purchases and coordination of the space planning process.
1.0 - Furniture Purchases
In April 2001, the Board of Supervisors approved Herman Miller as the standard for all furniture purchases in the Civic Center. Per the Board action, no other furniture may be purchased unless specifically authorized by the County Administrator’s Office (CAO). Though this policy is specific to the Civic Center, it is also strongly encouraged that it be followed for offsite facilities as well, to the extent that it is reasonable and practical.
1.2 Definition of Furniture
For the purpose of this policy, furniture is defined as items associated with an employee’s work space or office. These items include, but are not limited to, the following:
- File cabinets
The County has adopted this standard for Herman Miller systems furniture for the following reasons:
- It provides for interchangeability of furniture parts and components so that the furniture needs of departments can be more easily and quickly addressed.
- It will ensure that all furniture purchased meets the highest ergonomic and flexibility standards, vital to today’s office environment.
- The Civic Center and other County facilities will have a uniform furniture appearance that is appropriate to the facilities
1.4 Purchase Requirements
The Purchasing Division of DPW is required to enforce this Board policy and is not authorized to pay invoices of any amount for any furniture that deviates from the adopted standard. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All furniture purchases require a purchase requisition and purchase order prior to the delivery of furniture or other equipment. It is strongly recommended that departments work with Purchasing staff to take advantage of the County contract to supply Herman Miller systems furniture at the lowest overall price. The purchase of refurbished furniture is discouraged to ensure appropriate consistency and uniformity.
2.0 Space Planning
A process has been developed to coordinate countywide space planning and to assist departments in their individual space planning needs.
2.2 Process Steps
- Department submits Space Planning Request Form to DPW Capital/Space Division. The request form is available on the MINE.
- DPW prepares initial budget estimate based on department request and ergonomic concerns.
- If CAO approves estimate, DPW works with department to develop conceptual plan, project budget, and timeline.
- If CAO approves conceptual plan, funds are allocated to the project (appropriation may require Board of Supervisors approval).
- Project begins (any cost or scope changes requires CAO approval).
2.3 Large-Scale Office Modernization Projects
Large-scale space planning projects will be reviewed and prioritized with other countywide capital projects.