Nonprofit Community Partners Program and Application Process
The County of Marin’s Nonprofit Community Partners program provides one-time funding allocations between $10,000 and $40,000 to local projects/programs that bring measurable benefit(s) to the community. Funding is awarded on a one-time basis to specific projects/programs that don’t clearly fit within the activities of a single County department.
The Nonprofit Community Partners program receives its funding from the County General Fund. A total of $700,000 is allocated for FY 2020-21. Funding is approved annually by the Board of Supervisors for the following fiscal year and is not intended to provide ongoing financial support for any project or program.
The application process for the Nonprofit Community Partners program aims to increase transparency regarding the selection and funding process of specified projects/programs. An overview of the application and funding process is presented below.
Overview of the Funding Process
- Applications will be accepted annually from December 1st through February 15th. An online application is required for ALL requests.
- Applications will be processed and screened according to the program’s selection criteria and guidelines criteria and guidelines. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- All applications deemed complete and eligible will be accepted into the review process and posted on the Nonprofit Community Partners web page after February 15th. The posted versions will not disclose private information, as indicated on the application.
- The Board of Supervisors will review requests as part of the annual Budget workshop which takes place in March. Applicants and members of the public are invited to attend and address the Board. Please visit the Board of Supervisors’ agenda for the exact date, and Budget Overview for more details on the Budget Calendar Cycle. Applicants will be notified of the exact date by email.
- Based on staff review and feedback received by the Board of Supervisors at the March budget workshop, the County Administrator will recommend funding levels as part of the annual Proposed Budget, to be approved by the Board of Supervisors in June for the next fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th). Not all requests will be funded, and others may only receive partial funding.
- Approved funding allocations will be posted on the Nonprofit Community Partners web page.
- If approved, the proposed projects or programs will be implemented as contracts between applicants and the County Administrator’s Office. All services are expected to be completed within the fiscal year.
- Any unallocated funds or funds that are not expended for the contracted services will be returned to the General Fund following the close of the fiscal year.
- The program is intended to support specific projects or programs that do not clearly fit within the activities of a single County department, but provide measurable benefit(s) to the community and residents of Marin County.
- Funding allocations will only be made for one fiscal year and does not indicate support for multiple year funding. If funded, each project or program will be required to complete its objectives and meet contract terms by the end of the fiscal year for which it received funding.
- Applicants must provide budget information for their request by filling out a table included within the application form. Organizations will be required to indicate other funding they receive from County Departments and other sources for the same program or projects. Priority may be given to requests that represent no more that 50% of the total project cost.
- The Nonprofit Community Partners’ requested portion of total project cost must range between $10,000 and $40,000.
Key Differences Between the Community Service Fund and the Nonprofit Community Partners Programs
||Nonprofit Community Partners
||Community Services Fund
||Once per year, December 1st to Feb 15th. Funds are available after the Budget is approved for the following fiscal year (July 1st).
||Twice a year, July 1st to September 30th and January 1st to March 31st. Funds are available immediately after Board of Supervisors’ approval.
||$10,000 to $40,000
||$1,000 to $10,000
||$300,000 annually with approximately $150,000 allocated per application cycle.
||Projects/programs are planned several months in advance and implemented within the fiscal year for which funding is approved.
||Small one-time projects can include unforeseen/ emergency needs, funding is available shortly after approval. Projects must be completed by the end of the contract term or approximately 6 months.
Please review the Nonprofit Community Partners criteria for additional information.
Application opens: December 1st, 2019 to February 15, 2020
View Program Application Form for FY 2020-21