NOTICE: COVID-19 and TAX PAYMENTS
- Tax collection is not being affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.
- April 10 remains the last day to pay property tax 2nd installments without penalty.
- For public health reasons, we discourage personal visits to the Civic Center and urge residents to pay property taxes online, by phone or by mail.
- Pay online or by phone by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 10, 2020
- Pay by mail postmarked by Friday, April 10, 2020
- Marin County Tax Collector
P. Box 4220, San Rafael CA 94913
The Tax Division includes the Property Tax and Tax Collector sectors within the Department of Finance.
The main responsibilities of the Property Tax division include:
- Calculating tax bills for over 97,000 secured, unsecured and unitary properties.
- Computing tax rates for voter-approved debt issuances.
- Calculating and administering levies for parcel taxes, fees, and special assessments, including revising more than 4,400 tax bills per year as requested by taxing entities.
- Auditing an average of 13,000 revised tax bills annually.
- Issuing approximately 2,200 property tax refunds (negative bills) per year.
The Tax Collector processes tax bills and collections for taxing jurisdictions within Marin County.
The County collects the tax levies for all cities, special districts, and school districts as well as the tax levies for County purposes. There are 69 autonomous entities in Marin County.
Taxes include secured real estate taxes, supplemental taxes, unsecured property (taxes not secured by real estate) and prior year secured and unsecured taxes.
For specific information about property taxes, tax payments, and tax exemptions visit the Tax Information and Tax Payments tabs on the left hand menu.