The Recorder’s Office Is Relocating!
Beginning Monday, May 1, 2023, the Marin County Recorder’s and County Clerk’s Offices will reopen to the public in Rooms 232 (Recorder) and 234 (County Clerk.) Office hours for both offices are weekdays, 9 a.m. until 4:00. Both offices are open during lunchtime.
Assessor-Recorder-County Clerk COVID 19 Office Hours
Dear Valued Customer:
The Assessor-Recorder-County Clerk public counters at the Marin County Civic Center are open pursuant to the COVID-19 pandemic health order. However, many services can be accessed online, and staff is available to answer questions by phone and email. See the list below to learn how to access core services.
“We’re promoting our online, phone, and email services because they have worked out so well for both our staff and our residents during this public health emergency,” said Shelly Scott, the Assessor-Recorder- County Clerk. “Our recordings are actually up 10% from this period a year ago because people are getting used to our electronic options. We respectfully request that our customers continue to use online, telephone, and mail options as much as possible.”
Staff members in all three departments are adapting to new work environments that include Plexiglas shields, signage and floor stickers mentioning social distancing requirements, hand sanitizer dispensers, and face covering requirements. All precautions being taken are designed to protect visitors and staff and are consistent with precautions as recommended by the Marin County Public Health Officer.
Refer to the list below to learn how to access our core services:
Recorder’s Office / Open to the Public 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Recording Services: Call (415) 473-6093 with recording questions or email the Recorder.
- Electronic Recording is available for authorized submitters, including title companies and some government agencies.
- Recording Official Record Documents by Mail — Documents to be recorded can be sent via U.S. Mail or express mail service.
- Mailing address: P.O. Box C, San Rafael, CA 94913.
- Express shipping address: 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 232, San Rafael, CA 94903.
- Hand deliver to Drop Box located outside Room 232 at the Civic Center.
- Recording Official Record Documents in Person – The Recorder’s office is open between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Documents presented and accepted for recording after 3 p.m. will be recorded the next business day. Wait times will vary based on customer volume.
Vital Records - Copy Services / Open to the Public 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Vital Records – Copy Services: Call (415) 473-6395 with questions or email the Copy Center.
- Order birth or death certificates for events that occurred in Marin County, as well as marriage certificates issued by Marin County, from our website.
- Request copies of Vital Records at the Copy Center public counter. Wait times will vary based on customer volume.
- Copies of official records and recorded maps can be ordered on Recorder's website.
Assessor’s Office / Open to the Public – Appointments Are Encouraged
- For questions or information about real property assessments: Call (415) 473-7215 or contact us by email.
- For questions or information about Business Property or Personal Property assessments, call (415) 473-7208 or contact the Assessor by email.
- If you’d prefer to schedule an in-person appointment to minimize your wait time, please visit our electronic calendar to schedule your appointment.
County Clerk: / Office Visit by Appointment Only
- County Clerk: Call (415) 473-6772 with questions or Email the Clerk.
- Online marriage licenses and ceremonies pursuant to Governor Newsom’s April 30, 2020, executive order are currently available. For more information, contact County Clerk staff at (415) 473-6772 or contact us. Marin County residents are given priority when scheduling online marriages.
- No in-person marriage ceremonies are being performed by County Clerk staff until further notice.
- Appointments for other in-person County Clerk services including notary public renewals and professional registrations (Process Servers, Legal Document Assistants, etc.) may be scheduled may be scheduled online.
- Renew unexpired fictitious business names and submit CEQA filings by mail. Send to 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 234, San Rafael, CA 94903 or place in the drop box outside Room 232 during business hours (Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.).
- Images of current CEQA filings and miscellaneous agencies’ notices and agendas may be found on the County Clerk’s website.