Beginning Monday, June 15, 2020, the Recorder’s Office will be open to the public. To slow the spread of COVID-19, we respectfully request that our customers continue to observe Marin’s Shelter in Place Order and use online and mail options as much as possible.
- Electronic Recording is available for authorized submitters including title companies;
- Recording Official Record Documents by Mail – Documents to be recorded can be sent via U.S. Mail or express mail service. Mailing address: P.O. Box C, San Rafael, CA 94913. Express shipping address: 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 232, San Rafael, CA 94903;
- Recording Official Record Documents in Person — The Recorder’s office is open between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Documents presented and accepted for recording after 3 p.m. will be recorded the next business day. Wait times will vary based on customer volume;
- A drop box is located near our front door (Room 232 at the Civic Center);
- Call (415) 473-6093 with recording questions or send an email to the Recorder's office;
- Order birth or death certificates for events that occurred in Marin County, as well as marriage certificates issued by Marin County, from our website;
- Copies of official records and recorded maps can be ordered from our website;
- Request copies of Vital Records at the Copy Center public counter. Wait times will vary based on customer volume;
- Call (415) 473-6395 with questions or send an email to the Recorder.
The Recorder maintains a permanent public record of documents related to the ownership and encumbrance of real property located in Marin County. Property records may be viewed in our office during normal business hours, and copies are available for purchase. Documents presented for recording must meet statutory recording requirements and are subject to applicable fees and taxes. Documents are accepted for same-day recording until 3 pm.
The Recorder issues certified copies of birth and death records for events that occur in the county and public marriages licenses issued by Marin County.
Other Useful Services
Important - Please Read:
The Marin County Recorder’s Office staff is forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
Notice: City of Mill Valley - Special Tax Lien
On February 1, 2017 a Notice of a Special Tax Lien may have recorded on your property by
the City of Mill Valley Community Facilities District (CFD No. 2016).
The City of Mill Valley along
with the Marin County Recorder’s Office would like to provide you with the following information
regarding this Special Tax Lien document