Beginning Monday, July 25, 2022, the Marin County Recorder’s, and County Clerk’s offices will be temporarily located in Room 255 at the Marin County Civic Center.
For County Clerk’s services, appointments are highly recommended. To schedule an appointment with County Clerk staff, please call (415) 473-6152, weekdays, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
The Marin County Recorder’s Office is open weekdays from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., excluding major holidays. See below for information about accessing our services.
- Electronic Recording is available for authorized submitters including title companies;
- Recording Official Record Documents by Mail – Documents to be recorded can be sent via U.S. Mail or express mail service. Mailing address: P.O. Box C, San Rafael, CA 94913. Express shipping address: 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 232, San Rafael, CA 94903;
- Recording Official Record Documents in Person — The Recorder’s office is open between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Documents presented and accepted for recording after 3 p.m. will be recorded the next business day. Wait times will vary based on customer volume;
- If you are visiting the Recorder’s Office in person, you may pay by cash, check, money order, debit, or credit card. Please note that we are unable to accept cash bills larger than $20. Credit and debit card users are charged a transaction fee by our service provider of $2.50 per transaction. For documents and copy orders submitted by mail, please send a check or money order payable to the Marin County Recorder. Our fee schedule is available here.
- A drop box is located near our front door (Room 232 at the Civic Center);
- Call (415) 473-6093 with recording questions or send an email to the Recorder's office;
- Order birth or death certificates for events that occurred in Marin County, as well as marriage certificates issued by Marin County, from our website;
- Copies of official records and recorded maps can be ordered from our website;
- Request copies of Vital Records at the Copy Center public counter. Wait times will vary based on customer volume;
- Call (415) 473-6395 with questions or send an email to the Recorder.
The Recorder maintains a permanent public record of documents related to the ownership and encumbrance of real property located in Marin County. Property records may be viewed in our office during normal business hours, and copies are available for purchase. Documents presented for recording must meet statutory recording requirements and are subject to applicable fees and taxes. Documents are accepted for same-day recording until 3 pm.
The Recorder issues certified copies of birth and death records for events that occur in the county and public marriages licenses issued by Marin County.
Other Useful Services
Important - Please Read:
The Marin County Recorder’s Office staff is forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.