The Marin County Clerk’s Office is open Mondays through Fridays by appointment. See below for information about accessing our services.
- To schedule an appointment for an in-person marriage license, please complete and submit Marriage License Form online. Due to limited staffing and limited lobby space, we are prioritizing Marin County residents at this time. After receiving your request, we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
- No in-person marriage ceremonies are being performed by County Clerk staff until further notice.
- Online marriage licenses and ceremonies pursuant to California Assembly Bill 583 (2021) are currently available from our office. For more information, contact County Clerk staff at (415) 473-6772 or send an email to the County Clerk. Marin County residents are given priority when scheduling online licenses
- You may schedule appointments for other in-person County Clerk services online, including notary public renewals and professional registrations (Process Servers, Legal Document Assistants, etc.).
- Renew unexpired fictitious business names and submit CEQA filings by mail. Send to 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 234, San Rafael, CA 94903 or place in the drop box outside Room 232 during business hours (M-F 8-4).
- A list of current CEQA filings and miscellaneous agencies’ notices may be found on this website. Filings may be viewed by appointment in the Clerk’s office.
The County Clerk issues marriage licenses; accepts and indexes Fictitious Business Name statement filings; files notary bonds, commissions and oaths certificates and posts certain environmental documents, and maintains a list of public rosters.
The County Clerk also registers Domestic Partners, Professional Photocopiers, Unlawful Detainers, Legal Document Assistants, Process Servers and Humane Officers. The County Clerk issues ID cards to Professional Photocopiers, Unlawful Detainers, Legal Document Assistants and Process Servers.
Solicitor Permits and Exemptions can also be obtained from the County Clerk for the unincorporated areas of the County only. Also, Bingo licenses for the unincorporated area of the county can be authorized through the County Clerk’s Office.
County Clerk Services
Links to Other Agencies/Offices
Important - Please Read:
The Marin County Clerk’s Office staff is forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.