Frequently Asked Questions
For additional information
If you need additional information, please contact the Marin County Assessor’s Office.
Beginning Monday, June 15, 2020, the Assessor’s Office public counter will be available by appointment only. To slow the spread of COVID-19, we respectfully request that our customers continue to observe Marin’s Shelter in Place Order and use online and mail options as much as possible.
Assessor’s Office / Room 208 / Office Visit by Appointment Only — Appointments Available 9am to 3pm
- The Real Property division of the Assessor’s Office is available between the hours of 8am to 4pm for phone calls or e-mail correspondence, Call (415) 473-7215 with Assessment questions or email us.
- Please visit our electronic calendar to schedule your appointment with the Real or Personal Property divisions of the Assessor’s Office, or you may phone our offices to schedule your appointment.
Recorder’s Office / Open to the Public 8am to 4pm
- Recording Services - Call (415) 473-6093 with recording questions or email the Recorder.
- Electronic Recording is available for authorized submitters, including title companies and some government agencies.
- Recording Official Record Documents by Mail – Documents to be recorded can be sent via U.S. Mail or express mail service.
- Mailing address: P.O. Box C, San Rafael, CA 94913.
- Express shipping address: 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 232, San Rafael, CA 94903.
- Hand deliver to Drop Box located outside Room 232 at the Civic Center.
- Recording Official Record Documents in Person – The Recorder’s office is open between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Documents presented and accepted for recording after 3 p.m. will be recorded the next business day. Wait times will vary based on customer volume.
Vital Records - Copy Services / Open to the Public 8am to 4pm
- Vital Records – Copy Services - Call (415) 473-6395 with questions or email the Copy Center.
- Order birth or death certificates for events that occurred in Marin County, as well as marriage certificates issued by Marin County, from our website.
- Request copies of Vital Records at the Copy Center public counter. Wait times will vary based on customer volume.
- Copies of official records and recorded maps can be ordered on the Recorder's website.
County Clerk: / Office Visit by Appointment Only
- County Clerk — Call (415) 473-6772 with questions or Email the Clerk.
- Online marriage licenses and ceremonies pursuant to Governor Newsom’s April 30, 2020, executive order are available currently available. For more information, contact County Clerk staff at (415) 473-6772 or contact us. Marin County residents are given priority when scheduling online marriages.
- No in-person marriage ceremonies are being performed by County Clerk staff until further notice.
- Appointments for other in-person County Clerk services including notary public renewals and professional registrations (Process Servers, Legal Document Assistants, etc.) may be scheduled may be scheduled online.
- Renew unexpired fictitious business names and submit CEQA filings by mail. Send to 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 234, San Rafael, CA 94903 or place in the drop box outside Room 232 during business hours (M-F 8-4).
- A list of current CEQA filings and miscellaneous agencies’ notices and agendas may be found on the County Clerk’s website.