Service Adjustments During COVID-19 Emergency
The Assessor-Recorder-County Clerk public counters at the Marin County Civic Center are closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic and the public shelter-in-place order.However, many services can be accessed online, and staff is available to answer questions by phone and email. See the list below to learn how to access core services.
Business Personal Property:
- Personal Property Statements are due April 1. The late penalty deadline is May 7.
- Call 415-473-7208 or email AssrPersProp@marincounty.org with questions.
A. Recording Services:
- Electronic recording is available for authorized submitters, including title companies and government agencies.
- Recording Official Record Documents by Mail – Documents to be recorded can be sent via U.S. Mail or express mail service.
- Mailing address: P.O. Box C, San Rafael, CA 94913. For express shipping Express shipping address: 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 232, San Rafael, CA 94903.
- Hand deliver to a drop box available outside Room 232 during business hours (weekdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Call 415-473-6093 with Recorder questions or send email to Recorder@marincounty.org.
B. Vital Records / Copy Services:
- Renew unexpired fictitious business names and submit CEQA filings by mail. Send to 3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 234, San Rafael, CA 94903 or place in the dropbox outside Room 234 during business hours (weekdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.).
- We are currently unable to issue marriage licenses or perform civil ceremonies
- Call 415-473-6772 with County Clerk questions, or send email to CountyClerk@marincounty.org
The elected Assessor-Recorder-Clerk oversees the valuation of taxable real and business personal property; recording and maintaining documents regarding property ownership, births, deaths and marriages; performing civil ceremonies; and processing marriage licenses, fictitious business names and other legal documents. The Assessor-Recorder-Clerk’s mission is to provide excellent customer service by administering property tax law, state law and local ordinances with integrity in a fair, efficient and consistent manner.