Manufactured Homes

Shelly Scott, Assessor - Recorder - County Clerk
Manufactured Homes

Click on a question to see the answer, or Open All Questions.

  • Are manufactured homes the same as mobile homes?

    Although they may generally have the same meaning, for California property taxation purposes, the term mobile home is now obsolete and was changed to manufactured home in California Revenue and Taxation Code section 5801 in January 1992.

  • Do I have to file a Change of Ownership Statement following the death of the owner if the manufactured home was held in the decedent's trust?

    Yes. Whenever there is any change in ownership of real property or of a manufactured home, the transferee must file a Change in Ownership Statement in case of Death with the county assessor in the county where the manufactured home is located. If the property is subject to probate proceedings, the Change in Ownership Statement in case of Death must be filed prior to or at the time the inventory and appraisal is filed with the court clerk.

    In all other cases in which an interest in real property is transferred by reason of death, including a transfer through a medium of a trust, the Change in Ownership Statement in case of Death must be filed with the county assessor by the trustee, if the property was held in trust, or the transferee within 150 days after the date of death.

  • How are manufactured homes taxed in California?

    Manufactured homes in California are generally subject to two taxes:

    • Sales tax or use tax at the time of sale or resale, and
    • Either the annual local property tax or the annual vehicle license fee, which is also called an in-lieu fee.

    If your manufactured home was originally purchased new on or after July 1, 1980, it was automatically subject to local property taxes. If purchased new prior to that date, you or the prior owner could voluntarily convert the annual vehicle license fee to local taxation. The general property tax rate throughout California is limited to 1 percent of a property's assessed value. However, depending upon where your manufactured home is located, there may be other taxes or fees necessary to pay off any voter-approved general obligation bonds or other indebtedness which could result in a slightly higher overall property tax rate.

  • How can I change the taxation of my manufactured home from license fees to the local property tax system?

    You can request a voluntary conversion to local property taxes by contacting the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) and the county assessor. You may find HCD contact information at: Once manufactured homes have been changed to local property taxation, it is not possible to reinstate the vehicle in-lieu license fees.

  • How does the county assessor determine the value of my manufactured home?

    Manufactured homes are subject to Proposition 13 under which the county assessor determines the base year value of a manufactured home, which is generally the market value at the time of purchase. Thereafter, annual increases to the base year value are limited to the inflation rate, as measured by the California Consumer Price Index, or 2 percent, whichever is less. Any new construction will have its own separate base year value. When the manufactured home is sold, it will be reassessed at its current fair market value and a new base year value will be established. If your manufactured home is located on land that you own, the land will be assessed separately. If you live in a tenant-owned mobile home park, a different valuation rule may apply.

    The basic structure is assessable. Also assessable are all accessories, including, but not limited to: awnings, fences, windbreakers, storage cabinets, heaters, carport, water coolers, cabanas, porches, and skirting.

    California Revenue & Taxation Code Section 5803(b) specifically provides that the assessed value of a manufactured home on leased or rental land is not to include any value attributable to the particular site where the home is located. Thus, the county assessor must not increase the value because of positive site influence nor decrease the value because of negative site influence.

  • I am a disabled veteran. Am I entitled to the Disabled Veterans' Exemption on my manufactured home?

    Yes. The first $100,000 or $150,000 of the full value of a manufactured home may be exempted from local property taxation if the manufactured home is owned by a blind or disabled veteran, or the veteran's unmarried surviving spouse, with the exempt amount depending on the annual income of the veteran. For additional qualification requirements visit the Disabled Veterans' Exemption page for more information.

  • I am considering placing my existing manufactured home on a permanent foundation. How will this affect the valuation of my property?

    Once the manufactured home has been installed on an approved permanent foundation, the entire manufactured home and all attached accessory improvements become assessable as real property and are valued in the same manner as a conventional home. The home is no longer classified as a manufactured home.

  • I own a manufactured home. Do I qualify for a Homeowners' Exemption?

    Yes. To be eligible for the Homeowners' Exemption, a person must own and occupy a dwelling as a principal place of residence on the January 1 lien date. The exemption applies to qualified manufactured homes assessed for local property taxation purposes. If manufactured homes are subject to the vehicle license fee, the exemption can be applied to land, accessories, and/or other improvements for the manufactured home that are owned by the person claiming the exemption.

    A person who owns a manufactured home subject to local property tax on rented land is eligible for either the Homeowners' Exemption or the Renters' Credit, but not both.

  • I received my local property tax bill, and I disagree with the valuation placed on my manufactured home by the county assessor. What can I do?

    If you do not agree with the value determined by the Assessor, or if your request did not result in a lower value, please contact the Assessor's office and speak with the appraiser who made the determination. You may also file a formal appeal with the Marin County Assessment Appeals Board which is an independent board established to resolve differences in property value opinions between the county assessor and property owners. In Marin County, you must file your formal appeal on an "Application for Changed Assessment" between July 2 and November 30 of the fiscal year that you are disputing.

    For more information on how to file an Assessment Appeal, please contact the Marin County Appeals Board Clerk at (415) 473-7345 or email them. You can also visit the Appeals Board website.

  • If I purchase a manufactured home or if there is new construction on the home, will I have to pay supplemental taxes?

    Manufactured homes that are subject to local property taxation are subject to supplemental taxes.

  • My manufactured home is currently licensed by the California Department of Housing and Community Development. Are there any advantages to converting to local property taxation?

    There may be advantages, but each case should be evaluated individually. One possible advantage is that property taxes are payable in two annual installments. You may also be entitled to the $7,000 Homeowners' Property Tax Exemption or other exemptions administered by the county assessor. It should be noted, however, that if you receive the Homeowners' Exemption, you cannot apply for the Renters' Credit on your California State Income Tax return. Additionally, manufactured homes subject to local property taxation are exempt from any sales or use tax upon resale. Therefore, you may enhance the marketability of your manufactured home by voluntarily converting it to local property taxation prior to selling it. Once you convert to local property taxation, you or any subsequent owners cannot revert back to vehicle license fees.

Contact Information

For additional information

If you need additional information, please contact the Marin County Assessor’s Office.

Beginning Monday, June 15, 2020, the Assessor’s Office public counter will be available by appointment only. To slow the spread of COVID-19, we respectfully request that our customers continue to observe Marin’s Shelter in Place Order and use online and mail options as much as possible.

Assessor’s Office / Room 208 / Office Visit by Appointment Only — Appointments Available 9am to 3pm

  • The Real Property division of the Assessor’s Office is available between the hours of 8am to 4pm for phone calls or e-mail correspondence, Call (415) 473-7215 with Assessment questions or email us.
  • Please visit our electronic calendar to schedule your appointment with the Real or Personal Property divisions of the Assessor’s Office, or you may phone our offices to schedule your appointment.