Landlord: Frequently Asked Questions

Open All Panels

  • 1. When can my tenant(s) apply for rental assistance?

    The Marin County Rental Assistance program is currently accepting applications through the Marin County Emergency Rental Assistance webpage.

    If you need additional assistance or cannot access the online application, you can contact staff at (415) 473-2223 (CA Relay 711) or email Rental Assistance to help you fill out an application. If your call is not answered, please leave a message so one of our staff can follow-up with you. Due to high demand, it may take several business days to return your call.

  • 2. Can I apply on behalf of my tenant(s)?

    Yes, but your tenant must apply too. Both landlords and tenants are expected to fill out an application. After both parties have completed their respective applications/registries, then we will be able to move forward with assistance. A landlord may not apply on behalf of a tenant but may encourage their tenant to apply.

  • 3. If a landlord cannot locate a tenant, can they still apply for rental assistance?

    The landlord can apply, but the application cannot be processed without the tenant input. The beneficiary of the program is the household, not the landlord, so it is integral that the household participate in the program.

  • 4. How much money is available?

    In total, about $33 million is available for rental assistance in Marin County. It may be possible the County will receive additional state and/or federal funding in future rounds.

  • 5. Who is eligible for assistance?
    To be eligible for this program, a tenant must:
    • Be a current Marin Counter renter and/or owe back rent at a Marin County residence;
    • Fall under the low-income threshold below;
    • Submit the required documents (see the answer to question 10 under Tenant FAQs for more information).
    Number of People in Family/Household (Including Children) Combined Annual Income* (updated 04/12/2021)
    1 $102,450
    2 $117,100
    3 $131,750
    4 $146,350
    5 $158,100
    6 $169,800
    7 $181,500

    *This income should be based on your most recent monthly income.

  • 6. What documents do landlords need to submit?

    Landlords must submit a copy of the tenant’s current lease (minimum first page and signature page) in addition to a copy of a rent ledger/rent roll for the tenant which shows rent owed for the period beginning April 1, 2020.

  • 7. When will I get a response?

    For an application to be considered complete, both the landlord and tenant will need to submit their respective application. Complete applications will be prioritized based on the following factors:

    • At risk of eviction
      • Papers filed with the Courts
      • Notice from landlord in writing
    • AMI (Area Median Income)
      • 30% and less
      • 50% and less
      • 80% and less
    • Rent
      • Back rent owed after April 2020
      • Hasn’t received assistance before
      • Borrowed money – future rent
      • Increased expenses due to COVID – future rent
    • Date of application

    Eligible applicants with complete applications (both tenant and landlord have submitted) can expect to receive assistance within 2 months of submitting.

    See the table below for income thresholds:

    Number of People in Your Family/Household (Including Children) Extremely Low-Income Very Low-Income Low-Income
    1 $38,400 $63,950 $102,450
    2 $43,850 $73,100 $117,100
    3 $49,350 $82,250 $131,750
    4 $54,800 $91,350 $146,350
    5 $59,200 $98,700 $158,100
    6 $63,600 $106,000 $169,800
    7 $68,000 $113,300 $181,500
  • 8. My tenant doesn't want to apply. What can I do?

    If your tenant doesn’t want to apply, our staff can reach out to speak with your tenant and explain the program in more detail. Another helpful resource is the County’s Consumer Protection Unit, which offers free landlord-tenant mediation services. This department can be contacted at (415) 473-6495.

  • 9. Can rental assistance be applied to late fees?

    AB 832, the new State eviction moratorium and rental assistance law, prohibits landlords from charging a late fee if the tenant has provided a signed declaration form stating their inability to pay rent due to COVID-19.

  • 10. If I receive assistance, will you provide a 1099 form?


For more information about the eviction moratorium, visit the County’s COVID-19 Renter Protections webpage.