County of Marin - News Releases - Donahue Street Rehabilitation

For Immediate Release
June 22, 2017

Marin City’s Donahue Street to Get Makeover

Public transit artery will undergo rehabilitation this summer

San Rafael, CA – Marin City, an unincorporated community between Mill Valley and Sausalito, will have one of its main traffic arteries repaved this summer.

A close-up view of the deterioration on Donahue Street in Marin City.Donahue Street in Marin City is ready for an upgrade.
The project will rehabilitate a heavily worn, half-mile section of Donahue Street from Drake Avenue, near the Marin City Library, to Bridgeway Boulevard at the Highway 101 onramp. The Marin County Department of Public Works (DPW) has contracted with Ghilotti Brothers of San Rafael to handle the construction work, which is expected to begin the first week of July.

The estimated $1,165,000 project is 90 percent federally funded by a One Bay Area Grant (OBAG), with the remaining 10 percent coming from the County’s Road and Bridge Rehabilitation Fund. The amount of OBAG funding was maximized by coordinating a local agency funding swap with eight towns and cities in Marin County. Belvedere, Corte Madera, Fairfax, Larkspur, Mill Valley, San Anselmo, Sausalito and Tiburon all worked together with the County to combine their time-sensitive federal grant funding allowing a more substantial amount of work to be conducted on the Marin City project.

The work will entail the repaving of the half-mile stretch of road and include curb and gutter enhancements, utility cover adjustments, and new pavement striping. Minor traffic signal upgrades will also be implemented, such as audible pedestrian crossing signals and vehicle detection spots on the pavement for improved signal timing.

Donahue Street is heavily used by public transportation services, including a transit stop near Terners Drive. The location is a commuter hub with about 240 buses passing through daily on a wide variety of routes throughout the Bay Area. Marin City functions as a major transfer stop for all of Marin.

The repaving will be conducted at night to ensure continued bus service and minimize the overall traffic disturbances. To minimize noise, nighttime protocols for machinery will be in effect, such as looping trucks around in a circle instead of backing up. There will not be any daytime closures of the Highway 101 ramps, which are maintained by California Department of Transportation, so as to not disrupt commuter hours. The targeted project completion is the end of September. 

Contact:

Ernest Klock
Principal Civil Engineer
Public Works

3501 Civic Center Drive.
San Rafael, CA 94903
(415) 473-6552
Email: Ernest Klock
Public Works website