For Immediate ReleaseJanuary 23, 2015
March special election for residents of Flood Control Zone 5
San Rafael, CA – Voters in the Stinson Beach area will determine in March if a special tax should be levied to provide funding for a $5.7 million project to address flooding issues, natural creek functions and habitat enhancement.
Marin County Flood Control and Water Conservation District has called a special election for March 3 only for voters in Flood Control Zone No. 5. If the tax measure is passed by a two-thirds majority, funding from Measure A would be used to dredge Easkoot Creek from Arenal Avenue to Calle del Arroyo (twice), bypass flood flows, restore wetlands and creek habitat, maintain channel conveyance through sediment removal at the bridges and sediment basin, and continued annual vegetation maintenance.
Property taxes generate about $60,000 per year toward flood control efforts. Measure A would levy a tax of $250 annually per improved parcel and $50 per unimproved parcel over a maximum of 20 years. The tax would raise an estimated $3.68 million (65 percent) of the required funding for the upgrades with the remaining 35 percent coming from grants and private donations.
According to the Marin County Elections Office, 440 voters reside within the flood zone as of the most recent general election in November 2014.
Voters in the district should be aware of key dates in 2015:
For more information about the election, call 415-473-6456. For more information about Measure A, check Stinson Beach page of the Marin Watershed website.
Follow the Elections Office on Facebook.
Lynda RobertsRegistrar of VotersElections Department
Marin Civic Center Administration Building3501 Civic Center DriveSuite 121San Rafael, CA 94903(415) 473-6401Email: Lynda RobertsElections website