Common Poll Worker Questions
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable, casual clothes and shoes. Dress in layers so you can be comfortable all day.
Do not wear perfume. Other poll workers or voters may have allergies.
Do I get breaks?
Yes. The Deputy Inspector will schedule all poll worker breaks.
You can take:
- 1 meal break (1-1½ hours)
- 2 short breaks (15 - 30 minutes each)
No breaks after 5 p.m., which is the busiest time at the polls.
Can I bring food or drinks?
Ask the polling place owner or manager if it’s okay to bring food or drinks.
To protect the Rosters and ballots, do not eat or drink at the poll workers’ table.
When will I get paid?
If you and all other poll workers sign the Oath & Stipend form on Election Day, we will mail checks about 2 weeks after Election Day.
Important! If any poll worker has not signed the Oath & Stipend form, we cannot pay anyone until we get that person’s signature.
Can I get more training?
Yes. There are several ways to get more poll worker training. You can:
- Take another training class (we offer them several times the week before the election),
- Read the job cards at the polls, which describe poll workers duties, and
- Watch the training videos or read the Poll Worker Instructions on our website.
How do I vote if the poll I am working at is not my voting place?
Ask for a Vote-by-Mail ballot. You can turn your ballot in at the polling place where you work on Election Day.
To get a Vote-by-Mail ballot:
- Complete a Vote-By-Mail Application on our website,
- Use the application on the back of your Voter Information Pamphlet, or
- Go to the Elections Office
Do you want poll workers to give feedback?
Yes! We want to hear about your experience as a poll worker.
On Election Day:
- Write your comments on the Polling Place and Supplies Feedback page in the Roster.
- For emergencies or problems, you can use the Chief Inspector’s cell phone to call us.
After the election:
- Call the Elections Office at: 415-473-6439
- Write to us at:
Marin County Elections Department
3501 Civic Center Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903
- Email: Colleen Ksanda