March 3, 2020 - Notice of Ballot Processing
Notice of Ballot Processing
Anyone may observe all aspects of the election process. Ballot processing is performed weekdays in the Elections Department at the locations listed below between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. except as noted below.
Starting February 14, 2020, ballot processing may take place between the extended hours of 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays, and may take place during these same hours on some weekends as well. Notice of specific weekend dates on which ballot processing will occur will be posted at least 48 hours in advance of those dates. You may call the Elections Department at the number listed below for information about the daily processing schedule.
Ballot processing includes:
- Sorting returned vote-by-mail ballots
- Verifying signatures on ballot envelopes
- Removing ballots from envelopes
- Duplicating damaged ballots
- Counting vote-by-mail ballots
- Counting precinct ballots on Election Day after polls close at 8 p.m.
- Processing provisional ballots during the canvass period
- Conducting a manual tally of ballots at the end of the canvass period
Elections Department location:
Suite 121 Civic Center, 3501 Civic Center Drive, San Rafael**
Call 415-473-6456 for information
** ballot processing may occur and can be observed in other areas within the Civic Center, but all observers must first go to Suite 121 to check in