Elections Department Observer Guidelines
Election Observer Rules
Face masks are required if you are not fully vaccinated.
Rules are Established using California Elections Code.
- Observers must always sign in daily upon arrival and departure. You must wear an observer badge. When signing, you are affirming that you have read the rules for observation.
- No eating or drinking is allowed in the work area.
- No use of cell phones, cameras or recording devices are permitted in the office.
- Due to space limitations, the number of observers in an area may be limited. The elections official will determine the location for observers to view the requested process.
- Observers cannot assist in operations, touch or handle any ballots or other election-related materials. Observers cannot challenge action of staff.
- All questions concerning a procedure shall be directed to the supervisor in charge and not directly to the employees.
- Observers shall avoid physical contact with employees. This a matter of health concerns.
- Observers will be allowed into the work areas only when employees are performing election operations
- Operations will continue as scheduled whether an observer is present or not.
- Observers may call in advance to find out when staff will be working on a specific operation, or operations the staff will be working on that day.
- An observer may be asked to leave for failure to follow rules. Violation of security by an observer may cause expulsion from the building or relocation by a sheriff’s deputy or building security.