Transportation Planning works on long-term solutions and strategies to improve ease of mobility for all users of the county’s transportation network. Transportation Planning conducts studies, develops plans, and implements programs addressing mobility issues throughout the county. Planning staff in this section works closely with Traffic Operations, the Engineering Division and the community at large.
Transportation Planning also:
- Prepare applications to state and regional agencies for grant funding relative to providing transportation and safety improvements - particularly for roadways, bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
- Work with Board Members, department management, and others to develop conceptual plans for transportation and safety improvements.
- Provide support to the Capital Projects division in coordinating project delivery with Caltrans and other agencies.
- Serve as liaison for the department with advocates in handling issues regarding prospective transportation improvements, signing and roadway delineation devices, and bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
- Provide support to the Bicycle Advisory Group which consists of five citizen members, and meets periodically to consider ongoing bicycle oriented projects and strategies for developing future bicycle projects.
- Handle special projects and issues as requested by the Director and Assistant Directors.