Illegal Discharge Contacts

Rosemarie Gaglione, Director, Public Works

What to do for Illegal Stormwater Discharges

Follow steps below to anonymously report an illegal discharge (eg. litter, sediment, oil, paint, wash waters, etc.) into a storm drain, creek, wetland, bay or ocean.

If you are witnessing an illegal discharge

  • During normal business hours call your local illegal discharge contact listed below.
  • After normal business hours call the Marin County Sheriff non-emergency line (415) 473-7233.
  • For an emergency or a spill involving hazardous materials or hazardous waste call 911 or your local Fire Department
  • For spills into creeks, wetlands, bays or the ocean: call the California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) at (800) 852-7550

If the discharge has already occurred and is not an emergency or immediate threat

  • Complete this online form or contact your local stormwater agency listed below.

Experiencing an orange substance in the creek?  - It may be the presence of an organism living in the water. Check out "The Story of Iron Oxidizing Bacteria."

MCSTOPPP Local Contacts: Illegal Discharges or Creek Violations

Belvedere (415) 435-3838 Robert Zadnik
Corte Madera (415) 927-5057 Chris Good
County Unincorporated (415) 473-6583 Will Stockard
Fairfax (415) 458-2370 Mark Lockaby
Larkspur (415) 927-5017 Scott Metcho or Bob Quinn
Mill Valley (415) 384-4820 Dante Rovero
Novato (415) 899-8989 (Code Enforcement) or (415) 899-8286 (Mike) Mike Halvorsen
Ross (415) 453-8287 (ext.163) Anthony Alcozer
San Anselmo (415) 258-4616 Sean Condry
San Rafael (415) 485-3373 John Shindelus
Sausalito (415) 289-4192 Pat Guasco
Tiburon (415) 435-7354 David Eshoo

Other Agency Violations

  • To report habitat destruction, fish kills, or poaching, call the California Department of Fish and Wildlife at 1-888-334-2258.
  • To report pesticide misuse or contamination, call the Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures at 415-473-6700.
  • To report litterers (trash, cigarettes, items blowing from untarped truck/trailer loads) on the highways/freeways call the Highway patrol M-F 8am-5pm at 1-707-551-4100. Please include: Date and time of incident, License plate number, Car make and model, Location where you saw the incident, Which person in the vehicle threw the cigarette and/or trash.