Marin County Parks and Open Space Department

Marin County Open Space District Commercial Dog Walker Permit Program

Commercial dog walkers interested in conducting business on Marin County Open Space District (MCOSD) lands must obtain a Commercial Use Permit from the MCOSD. A commercial dog walker permit (permit) includes the following items:

  1. Guidelines 
  2. Rules and Regulations 
  3. Conditions 
  4. Permitted Locations 
  5. Application (Fillable PDF)

Application Procedure

  1. Obtain permit documents from the Marin County Parks website.
  2. Review commercial dog walker permit items, complete the conditions and permit application, and submit the conditions, permit application, business license, insurance certificate, additional insured endorsement, Certificate of Completion (Marin Pet Care Association's Trail Manners for Commercial Dog Walkers class) or (Dog *Tec Dog Walking Academy workshop), and required fees to: Marin County Parks, 3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 260, San Rafael, CA, 94903, Attention: Jen Fujimoto. An incomplete permit application will not be processed. Please contact Jen Fujimoto, (415) 473-7608.
  3. Within 30 days of receipt of all necessary permit documents, the MCOSD staff will review the documents and contact the applicant to arrange an in-person meeting to discuss permit rules, regulations, and conditions; to provide a copy of approved application; and to supply applicant with their identification vest(s).


About the MCOSD commercial dog walker permit program: Contact Open Space Ranger Gabe Ngarangad at (415) 473-2816.

About the permit process and/or insurance: Contact Office Assistant III Jen Fujimoto at (415) 473-7608.

Insurance Requirements

Applicants shall provide proof that they have current commercial general liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 ($2,000,000 aggregate). Marin County Parks and the Marin County Open Space District shall be named as additional insured on the policy. The additional insured endorsement shall include the general liability insurance policy number. Acceptable additional insured endorsements include:

  1. Blanket additional insured endorsement
  2. Separate additional insured endorsement that names Marin County Parks and the Marin County Open Space District as additional insured

Additionally, general liability insurance shall be maintained for the life of the permit. Permit holders shall submit, to Dianah Webb in a timely manner, a new certificate of insurance and a new additional insured endorsement, when they renew their current policy before it expires.