Frankly Fitness is the County of Marin’s employee-dedicated fitness room in the historic Civic Center building in San Rafael. The fitness room offers a variety of cardio equipment, a universal strength training machine, free weights, and a dedicated area for stretching/yoga.
The fitness room aims to support employees at all fitness levels with getting started incorporating more physical activity into their routine. Whether you’re walking on a treadmill or working on your strength and flexibility, Frankly Fitness offers nearly 1200 sq. ft. of employee dedicated space to exercise your best.
Employee access is free of charge. No spouses, domestic partners, or dependents are permitted in the fitness room. For a quick reference to using the gym including hours, times and location, check out our Need To Know flyer!
Thanks to employees input, and the hard work of the County’s Wellness Ambassadors, Frankly Fitness will open for employee use on February 28, 2018 on the bottom level of the Civic Center, near shipping and receiving.
The County’s Wellness Ambassadors, a group made up of over 30 individuals who represent nearly every department in the organization, have been instrumental in moving this vision forward. When you see them in the hall, say thank you for their perseverance. They have worked to develop check-in policies, choose paint colors, develop the site name/logo, and more. Also, a huge thank you to David Vaughan, Jeff Wong, David Speer, and Stephanie Weldy for managing this project.
Special thanks to our County colleagues at the Fire and Probation Departments, who donated much of the equipment used to create the fitness room.
The Frankly Fitness Room is located in the lower level of the Marin County Civic Center. Access the Fitness Room from Lobby 2—Hall of Justice (Center Arch). Either take stairs (door code: 2018#) or elevator (on right) to basement level. Follow signs for Fitness Room.
The Fitness Room will be open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
How do I get access?
- All employees can gain access to the fitness room by completing the check-in screen upon arrival to the fitness room. You will need the door code to get to the facility. Code is: 2018#
Where is it located?
- Located in the basement of the Civic Center, take the stairwell or the elevator from the middle arch lobby to the basement. Door code for the stairwell is: 2018#. Only the right elevator accesses the basement level.
What are the hours of operation?
- The Fitness Room will be open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Hours of Operations mirror Civic Center hours.
Is there a cost to working out there?
- There is no cost to accessing the fitness room. In order to keep this resource available for all, please take good care of the space. Fitness room is for use of County of Marin employees only. Guests and ALL persons under the age of 18 are strictly prohibited.
What equipment is available there?
- The fitness room will have a mix of strength and cardio equipment, including treadmills, recumbent bikes, ellipticals, free weights, a universal gym (selectorized machine), and a mat/stretching area.
What amenities does the room provide?
- Immediately adjacent to the fitness room there are two all-gender bathrooms, which have sufficient space for changing but no showers. Located in other parts of the Civic Center, however, there are shower facilities in the Civic Center.
Are there shower facilities available?
- County employees have access to shower facilities at the Civic Center. Showers are currently located in the Civic Center at women’s restroom #201 (end of 2nd floor hallway) and men’s restroom #231 (next to Civic Center Cafeteria). Neither shower room is marked but you do need a key to enter. The restrooms are not affected if there is someone in the shower. There is changing space in the shower room and hooks for clothes and towels.
- Request Civic Center employee shower key by downloading and filling out the employee Shower Key Application Form.
- Submit the form via interoffice mail to Public Works Building Maintenance.
- Call (415) 473-6576 if you have any questions.