Bad Check Restitution - Filing a Report

District Attorney

Cutting Your Losses - As Easy As 1-2-3

  1. Make personal contact with the check writer; if you are unsuccessful, send a returned check notice. The check writer has 10 days to respond and remit payment. Sample Returned Check Notice
  2. If you do not hear from the check writer or receive payment, simply contact the Bad Check Restitution Program at (866) 801-4883 for a bad check crime report form.
  3. Fill out the crime report form, attach originals (you retain photocopies) of all checks and notification documents, such as return receipts and bank notices and mail to:

Marin County District Attorney
Bad Check Restitution Program

P.O. Box 3050
San Clemente, CA 92674-3050
(postal address only)

If you do not receive restitution within 90 days, contact the Marin County District Attorney Bad Check Restitution Program.