What is Induction Cooking?
Induction stove tops use electricity and magnets to directly heat cookware. This process is more energy efficient than other methods (gas and hot-plate style electric stoves) because no heat is lost between the cooking surface and the pots and pans.
What are the benefits of induction cooking?
- Remove Fumes - Burning natural gas for cooking produces harmful gases in your kitchen like formaldehyde and carbon monoxide.
- Easy to Clean - Because the cooking surface doesn't heat up, spilled food won't cake on. That, and the smooth flat surface, makes cleaning up an easy task.
- Doesn't Heat Up Your Kitchen - Since induction directly heats the cookware and not the cooking surface, you won't heat your kitchen as much when you cook - a plus on hot summer days.
- Better Control and Cooking Experience - Many professional chefs prefer using induction cooking for the benefits listed above, and because it provides control and precision for exact temperatures.
- Energy Efficiency - Because induction cooking directly heats cookware, there is less wasted energy than methods of cooking that generate heat from the cooking surface (gas stoves and electric hot plates).
Available Rebate Programs
Right now, Marin residents can take advantage of the regional BayREN Home+ program and Electrify Marin to help fund a gas-to-induction cooking appliance project.
Rebate Program Breakdown
For Cooktop and Oven Replacement:
BayREN Home+: $750
Electrify Marin: $500
Total Incentive: $1,250
For Cooktop Only Replacement:
BayREN Home+: $750
Electrify Marin: $250
Total Incentive: $1,000
With increased availability of renewable electricity in Marin County, natural gas consumption represents a growing proportion of our greenhouse gas emissions. The County’s Climate Action Plan aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 40% below 1990 levels by 2030. As of 2019, the County has reduced emissions to 21% below 2005 levels, which is equivalent to 7% below estimated 1990 levels. In order to move further toward the 2030 goal, we must address emissions from natural gas.
Electrifying residential gas appliances also helps improve indoor air quality.
Rebates are available for other gas-to-electric conversions (space and water heating), visit the Electrify Marin page to learn more.