As a recipient of federal funds, the County of Marin is required to review barriers to fair housing choice and affirmatively further fair housing under the Fair Housing Act.
The AI identifies barriers to fair housing choice by:
- Assessing conditions, both public and private, affecting fair housing choice for all protected classes
- Reviewing the jurisdiction's laws, regulations, and administrative policies, procedures and practices
- Assessing how those laws, etc. affecting the location, availability and accessibility of housing
- Assessing the availability of affordable, accessible housing
The 2020 Marin County AI identifies four (4) key impediments to fair housing choice in the county:
- Community opposition to affordable housing
- The cost of developing affordable housing
- Lack of affordable housing sites
- Lack of opportunities for home ownership by people of color and on-going concerns of gentrification
On February 11th, 2020, the Marin County AI was presented to the Board of Supervisors for final approval. The last AI the County of Marin completed was in 2011.