Body Art

Community Development Agency

The Safe Body Art Act

If you plan to open a body art facility or perform body art activities, you will need to register with the County of Main Environmental Health Services.

Body Art includes piercing, tattoos, permanent cosmetics, and branding. Body art must be performed in a safe and sanitary manner to prevent the potential for spreading blood-borne diseases and other infections. The Marin County Body Art program promotes and protects the health and safety of body art practitioners, their clients and the public by overseeing practices to ensure they are in compliance with the law.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Body Art Program at 415-473-6907 or

Environmental Health Services

3501 Civic Center Drive, Ste 236
San Rafael CA 94903
Office 415-473-9607
Fax 415-473-4120

Monday to Thursday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM


New Body Art Facility or Businesses

All Body Art Practitioners must practice in a license Body Art Facility. The process of obtaining a Body Art License begins with submitting the required materials on the New Body Art Facilities or Business Checklist and/or New Body Art Practitioner checklist. Staff will review all documents and determine if they meet current regulations. Upon approval, EHS staff will contact the applicant and schedule an opening inspection. If the facility meets the construction and procedure area requirements, has met all the requirements below and is approved during the opening inspection, the Body Art License(s) will be issued and the applicant can begin to conduct body art activities.

Temporary Body Art

A practitioner may, in the local jurisdiction of registration, practice in a temporary demonstration booth for no more than seven days in a 90-day period. Application must be received 90-days prior to the event.

Mobile Body Art

General Resources

Online General Resources

US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) – Are Tattoo Inks Safe?

National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) – Body Piercing Infections

American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) – Caring for your tattooed skin

ADD – Unexpected skin reactions and what to do about them

Paying My Invoice Or Bill

Marin County accepts payment in the following ways:
  1. Cash (in-office payments only)
  2. Check (in-office or mail payments)

    Make check payable to: Marin County

  3. Credit/Debit Card (over the phone or in person)

    Please call 415-473-6097
    Only Visa and Mastercard accepted

Please mail payments to:

Environmental Health Services
3501 Civic Center Drive #236
San Rafael CA 94903

Payments are accepted:

Mon-Thur: 8 am to 3:30 pm
Friday:      8 am to 12 pm