Judy’s background begins with her upbringing in Kansas City, KS. Her mother was a R.N. and TWA’s first air hostess, whose uniform is in the Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian. Judy’s father was an attorney in Kansas City, who would have been in the foreign service but for an emergency appendectomy at American University, followed by recovery and a return to college in Kansas. He has probably been the biggest influence on Judy’s interest in government.
Judy attended Goucher College in Baltimore, MD for two years and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in International Relations. She then worked for the Peace Corps in Washington D.C. when Sargent Shriver was its head and John Kennedy was President. When Judy came to Marin in 1966, she knew this was where she wanted to be. Judy has lived in Novato since 1996 and can’t imagine living anywhere else.
- Born July 16, 1940 in Kansas City, Kansas
- Married since 1974 to Bruce Arnold, recording artist & songwriter, and master pattern maker of scale automobiles
- Mother to Gray Ainsworth, Erin Fish and John Mark Arnold – and stepmother to Oliver Arnold
- Grandmother of six: Brayden, Lauren, Julia, Ainsworth, Owen and June.
- Currently working as Marin County Supervisor, District 5
- District Chief of Staff for Carole Migden, California State Senate
- District Coordinator for President pro Tempore John Burton, California State Senate
- Director of Communication and Fund Development, Goodwill Industries of the Redwood Empire
- Marin County’s First Supervisorial Aide (Gary Giacomini)
- Publicist, Marin Transit Systems, Inc.
- Journalist, US Peace Corps
County Supervisor Accomplishments for 5th District
- Created the Marin Economic Forum to focus on the connection between a local sustainable economy and our environmental and social equity goals
- Initiated a critical watershed program in Novato
- Launched the Vial of L.I.F.E. Program in Marin to help our emergency responders save lives
- Preserved the 64-acre Vince Mulroy Memorial Woodland and Wildlife Preserve as County Open Space
- Spearheaded a website for the public to access county restaurant inspection information online
- Launched the new Marin Community Clinics facility and dental clinic in Novato for our underserved residents
Prior Community Service Endeavors
- Served on Novato City Council 2003-2006
- Member, Transportation Sales Tax Expenditure Plan Development Community Advisory Committee (for passage of Measure A)
- Former member, Board of Directors, Marconi Conference Center
- Co-Vice President, Marin National Women's Political Caucus
- President, Tomales High School Parents Club
- Organized Legislative Action Committee for State School Funding
- Program Vice President and Local Action Chair, Marin County League of Women Voters
Of Special Note
- Contributing Writer, 50/50 by 2000: A Political Handbook for Women
- Author, When I Grow Up and The Lost Smile (published children’s books)