Access Marin: Building an Inclusive Workforce
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM). The purpose of NDEAM is to educate about disability employment issues and celebrate the many and varied contributions of America's workers with disabilities.
Held annually, National Disability Employment Awareness Month is led by the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP), but its true spirit lies in the many observances held at the grassroots level across the nation every year. Marin County employers of all sizes and in all industries are encouraged to participate in NDEAM. For specific ideas about how you and your organization can support NDEAM, visit the ODEP website. Suggestions range from simple, such as putting up a poster, to comprehensive, such as implementing a disability education program.
Marin County Efforts
Marin County will be engaging in a variety of activities to educate its employees and the public on disability employment issues and the role they play in fostering a disability-friendly work culture. These efforts include:
- Hosting “Access Marin” on October 4th, 2012, featuring guest speakers from Department of Rehabilitation, California Foundation for Independent Living, and Marin Center for Independent Living (see event below)
- Exhibiting throughout the Marin County Civic Center a series of 22 museum quality posters portraying the history of the disability rights movement
- Dedicating October as National Disability Employment Awareness Month in Marin per proposed Board of Supervisors resolution
- October 19: Workforce Solutions Conference and Resource Fair - Let U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) help you to enhance recruitment and advance the employment of talented people with disabilities in your workplace. RSVP by October 15.
- October 4: Job Seeking Skills to Pay the Bills - Free workshop for individuals with disabilities, interested in federal and state civil services jobs, looking to improve their job-seeking skills or for those looking to gain upward mobility.
- October 12: 5th Annual Angels by the Bay - Benefit supporting the Marin Center for Independent Living
- October 9: 2012 Benefit Bocce Tournament - Benefit supporting Casa Allegra Community Services
The following links offer helpful resources for persons with disabilities:
If you have questions or would like to contribute resources and events to the page, please contact Jacalyn Mah.